Here is a short video showing how to create a canyon by applying successive displacement layers in Terragen.
We start with coarse displacements and gradually apply finer and finer displacements.
We finish with the application of color layers, also based on fractals.
The complete project with comments is available on my Canyon 9 product page
Here an illustration of making Terragen picture step by step.. from a simple heightfield to a complete procedural shaped terrain and texturing
This scene is available in my store ready to play with it and add new iterations !
Starting by create global procedural shapes
Adding details without denaturate the landscape
Adding colors by altitude and/or by slope
Adding some vegetation (here some XFROG plants used) and adjust colors to better match. Find an interesting point of view.
There are several new Terragen presets are available in the store section:
- Quiet river water pack you can use to add realistic color water shader in your scene, several types are provided like transparent or muddy water.
- Canyon 6 scene which show you how to setup stratas canyon scene which realistic displacements. Complete scene is included which all shaders (no vegetation).
- Fog layer preset with 2 types of fog, one is very detailed and compact, second one is more diffuse fog.
- Deep valley scene is a complete and very versatile valley environment with a lot possibilities of virtual excursions and reuse.
- Sky preset 2 with 4 clouds layers at different altitudes that you can enable/disable depending on cloud sky coverage you would like to obtain
Here a render using one of my Terragen canyon scene as a HDRI environment in Blender and a free 3D StarWars Tie Interceptor object (released under licence Creative Commons Zero 1.0 – credits to Daniel Andersson)
Original Terragen 360° picture was 3000×1500 pixels and looks like :
Some test renders I did few weeks ago to try to create realistic rocks structure